Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Blog Needs Content... Badly

Those of you who recognized the title as an homage to the arcade game Gauntlet, congrats, you just passed a geek test!

Those of you who are still checking back in the wake of the much appreciated links from Deadspin and The Big Lead are probably wondering two things: 1) where's the fuckin' content and 2) where's the fuckin' swearing?

It's hard to solve the first problem. Few of the FFB 'experts' out there are writing articles during the playoffs, save for maybe a Top 100 list for next year's draft, which I really don't feel like tearing down right now. Besides, I subscribe to the 'tier method' of ranking, so I don't really care if Laurence Maroney is slightly ahead of Donald Driver.

That said, two articles do come to mind, both from Sportsline: one about how Vick will fare under new coach Bobby Petrino and another about how great Vince Young is and/or will be. You could almost swap the QBs and both articles would still hold water. Or better still, just write one article (I guess they pay by the posting over there at CBS) because it boils down to this: both QBs have a world of 'upside', largely due to neither team having a D so the QBs will be wingin' it and runnin' it all game. The only difference between the two is that Young's receivers can actually catch the ball (or maybe he throws a more catchable ball, hmmm?). I think both articles end with the standard "grab this guy early, he'll be worth it!" boilerplate that seems so common around the FFB expert 'industry' that's formed these past couple years. Here's my 2 (common) cents: we'll talk more about this come draft time, but rank your QBs into tiers. These two will probably end up in the same one and then it'll come down to how many QBs you start and how comfortable you feel with each. It'll also depend on each QB's bye week and the bye weeks of your other players. I wouldn't base my whole draft around either of these guys, is what I'm trying to get at.

Oh, here's something else. Bill Simmons had a chat today (short one, by his standards, and of course, no new column) and someone asked why NFL Network doesn't have a fantasy show. He said he didn't know but failed to mention ESPN's apparently-failed attempt at one, creatively entitled "The Fantasy Show". It's hard to understand how he could've forgotten; he was touting this back before week 1 since he was like a creative consultant or something. Maybe the WorldWide leader finally regained control over him after his little dig against Lupica last week. Still, though, the show wasn't bad. Too much Jaws is definitely a bad thing, but it was balanced out by Antonio Freeman's "Free's Flex" segment where he correctly predicted the rises of Marques Colston and, later, Devery Henderson. Oh and Danni Boatwright! Eventually, though, my DVR started recording poker and billiards in the show's timeslot and a Google search informed me that either the show was on 'hiatus' till next year or it was only scheduled to run the first ten weeks of the season.

Hmmm.... got through all of that without cursing. So if you made it THIS far you're probably wondering if I'm gonna go the way of Kissing Suzy Kolber, whatever's at the other end of the spectrum, or somewhere in between. In real life, I curse like a sailor, but it just looks so weird for me to type, you know? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE KSK; I'll probably get fired for reading it at work some day. But at this point in time, I don't see the... ummm... point. Couple that with the fact that I've been watching WAY too many 'Scrubs' reruns where they actually say 'poo' instead of 'poop', and there you go!

Now, when week 5 rolls around and Marques Colston proves to be the 2nd coming of Nate Burleson (you read it here FIRST!), I will DEFINITELY let the 'fucks' fly. Consider yourself warned.

No comments: