Saturday, December 30, 2006

Did you do ANYTHING right this year?

Yep! For starters, I snagged Marques Colston in all 3 leagues and also snagged Devery Henderson when Colston went down. That helped out a lot across the board, at least until weeks 15 and 16 when Brees struggled.

In my 8 team yahoo league I drafted LT2, Harrison, Ronnie Brown, Dillon and Bulger as my core. Witten WAS my TE but Colston filled that slot since he was TE-eligible in yahoo. I picked up Dante' Stallworth and later, Reggie Brown for my other WR (Stallworth did cost me a game b/c he went down during warmups for the San Fran game and I was nowhere near a computer when I heard). Things were going along fine until 1) Ronnie Brown got hurt and 2) Bulger and my #2 QB (we start 2) Delhomme decided to start sucking in unison. I went into a swoon and finally came out of it thanks to Vince Young (he just wins games in fantasy land, too!) and Matt Leinart. I made the playoffs at 8-6 and finished 2nd, losing by just 15 points. Now, I COULD get upset b/c I started Leinart (who got hurt) over Young (who was awesome) but Leinart WAS doing well pre-injury (160+ yds and a TD) and you can't predict injuries, so I have to just chalk this up to fate or luck or whatever. I also benched Roy Williams (playing against CHI) in favor of Devery (playing against NYG and if there's one thing I know, it's that NY can't cover anyone this year); I thought between the CHI D, Kitna's recent struggles and Williams recent disappearing act, I made the right call. Sadly, 'twas a windy day in the Meadowlands and Brees didn't throw for much and Devery gave me a goose egg.

In my 10 team yahoo league which featured fractional points and valued TDs way too much, I struggled even with a healthy Portis, mainly b/c Ocho Cinco wasn't catching TDs and Brees hadn't emerged yet. Luckily, everything came together at the same time: Portis got hurt, Ocho had a couple of good games and Brees started playing like an MVP. Why is Portis' injury good? It openned up a spot for me to make the following trade, which made sense in this league: Dunn/Ocho for Marion Barber and Reggie Brown. I leveraged Ocho's 2 decent games for a TD machine and a WR who may not get yardage but seemed to also be good for a TD every week. I rode this team from 2-6 to 8-6, but unfortunately sputtered out once Brees did (he took Colston and Devery down with him).

Bottom line: I did a lot of things right this year, so I still believe I know what I'm talking about!

No comments: