Saturday, December 30, 2006

Who to start/bench in Week 17

Well, it's 12:47 pm EST on Saturday and I don't think I'll have time to figure out a table where I rank players and compare them to where other sites ranked them. I guess I'll play with that in the offseason and keep you all waiting (ah, who am I kidding? No one's reading this thing yet!). So, here's a quick list of 'common sense' thoughts for Week 17, where a lot of players will sit, so 'common sense' kinda goes out the window a bit. Still here are some thoughts that SHOULD keep you from feeling stupid once the games are over (cuz that's really what it's all about!).

Guys to start:

  • Players on teams with something to play for. That means all Chargers, Rams, Ravens, and maybe even the Pats. You catch my drift.

  • Second stringers on teams (both good and bad) with nothing to play for. That means take a good luck at backups for the Bears, such as Mark Bradley (who filled in admirably when Berrian went down for a time), Cedric Benson and even Adrian Peterson. Another example would be Saints wideouts like Terrance Copper and maybe even Devery Henderson (Horn is hurt, I think and Colston may sit and SOMEONE has to catch the damn ball for the Saints this week).

    This group also includes riskier plays like backups on losing teams that coaches may want to get one last look at, such as maybe Mike Williams for DET (I'm reaching here, I know).

  • Defenses playing against teams that are benching many offensive starters.


Guys to bench:

  • The reverse of what I recommended above, mainly first stringers on teams with nothing to play for. So no Grossman, T Jones and Berrian for CHI and Brees/Deuce/Bush/Colston for the Saints.


Beyond this, it all comes down to trust. Do you trust Eli to lead the G-men into the playoffs? Do you trust LT2 to play the whole game? Go with that and you won't feel stupid afterwards, I promise!

No comments: