Saturday, December 30, 2006

Buttbags of the Year (BBOTYs)

(name inspired by Catalina from 'My Name is Earl". Her definition: "it's a bag of butts". Short and to the point; I like it!)

It's always been easier for me to criticize rather than praise, so here's who sucked for me this year:

  1. Daunte Culpepper: Need I say more? He was actually serviceable until he was benched (but he WAS benched, making him my #1 goat). Until that happened, I HAD to start him, due to what happened to my #2 QB...

  2. Trent Green / Herm Edwards: I didn't expect much from Trent and boy did I get it! Went down in Week 1 with a severe concussion forcing me to start Daunte more than I would've liked and work the waiver wire like mad. I finally settled on his backup, Damon Huard, who only through something like 10 TD to 1 INT and things were going great until Herm "you play to win the damn game" Edwards stuck Trent back in there and I don't think KC has won since. Oh, they beat OAK? So freakin' what!

  3. Byron Leftwich / David Garrard: As I said earlier, I traded FOR him and he promptly screwed up his ankle in practice. Okay, no prob, Garrard was solid last year. Yeah, well that was LAST year. I'll never forget the week I started him against IND but benched Jones-Drew thinking IND would FINALLY stack up against the run and Garrard could make plays with his arm AND with his legs. That's pretty much when the name for this blog was born.

  4. Hines Ward: Luckily, I drafted him late, but we still had a rocky relationship. If I sat him, he went for 80+ yds and a TD. If I started him, he went for 30 yds and no TD. I ultimately had to trade him for Big Ben (I had QB problems, couldn't you tell?) and I actually think I won that trade.

  5. Jason Witten: With Drew running the show, he always stayed in to block. In the early days of the Romo Empire, he flourished as Tony's safety valve. Soon, though, Romo got more comfortable with his wideouts and Witten became merely serviceable.

  6. Clinton Portis: to channel Denny Green, "he WAS what I THOUGHT he was!". So crown his ass! Errr... MY ass! Oh, wait, that's not right either. Ahem... anyway, I expected the slow start; I wasn't expecting the season-ending injury midway through the season. I have him ranked this low since I WAS able to pull off my amazing trade for Marion Barber to mitigate the loss.


I could go on with goats that weren't on any of my teams, like Randy Moss or Lamont Jordan, but since they never caused me any pain that I could put into words, it'd merely be a list of names without a lot of witty commentary and, really, who wants to read that? :)

No comments: