Saturday, December 30, 2006

What have we learned, Charlie Brown?

I have to admit, I was feeling really cocky after winning my 'big money' CBS Sportsline twelve team league last year. So when we got the ability to trade draft picks and I was assigned the 2nd pick, I unfortunately had my "I'm Keith Hernandez!" moment and traded DOWN to either 4 or 5 in round 1 and the corresponding pick in round 2 (snake-style draft). All my other picks remained the same, including having the 2nd pick of round 3, but the damage was already done. See, my reasoning was without the #1 pick, I wasn't guaranteed Tomlinson and I was worried about LJ (shouldn't have been) and Alexander (rightly so). So why not trade down in round 1 and get a better 2nd round pick at the same time? Well, I took Rudi Johnson #1 and Corey Dillon #2 (there was a run on RBs as the draft snaked back around), followed by Harrison #3. I also grabbed Daunte and Trent Green as my QBs (we start 1) and right now you're all probably rolling your eyes. Long story short, Rudi was average for a few weeks and Marvin was below average. Along the way I picked Phillip Rivers off the wire. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw Kevin Jones was thriving in Mike Martz' offense and TJ Housh was lighting it up since Chris Henry was suspended and Ocho Cinco couldn't get open to save his life. The guy proposed the trade: Rivers/Rudi/Marv for Leftwich/KJ/TJ and I thought I was robbing the guy! Well, Leftwich never played a down for me, and adding Garrard to my roster didn't make up for it. KJ was great but I had to deal with his Week 8 bye and then HE got hurt. And then I got stupid with TJ and benched him a couple of times; more on this one later.

Bottom line: don't be like me or Keith Hernandez. Had I kept my pick, I wouldn't have had LT2, but I would've had LJ and that could've been enough. I started off 6-3 and currently sit at 6-10 and it's mostly due to poor lineup decisions stemming from not having a QB and RB I can confidently plug in each week. I trusted other things when I should've trusted my gut and 'common sense', which is why I decided to start this blog. More to follow!

No comments: