Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How'm I doin'? (updated 10/31)

Those of you who grew up in or around NYC while Ed Koch was mayor may recognize the above question :).

I've resisted the urge up until now to really talk about my four teams. However, now that we're halfway through the real regular season and a bit more than halfway through the fantasy season (assuming playoffs start in week 14), I thought I'd share that info with you, as well as how I think I did with some of my pre- and in-season predictions.

My teams are 6-2, 6-2, 5-3 and.... 2-6. The runt of the litter contains such luminaries as Larry Johnson, Steve Smith and Laurence Maroney. To be fair, I would've had another win had I added Sammy Morris before NE's Monday night game a while back and I DID only lose this past week by 3. Still, the playoffs are just about out of the picture and I now need to save my remaining 4 add/drops to help me in the inevitable 'losers bracket'. The 5-3 team would've also been 6-2 had I not benched Willie Parker for Lamont Jordan, but I already apologized to y'all for that.

Now, as for my pre-season RB rankings (in order, as far as I can recall).

LT2 is still the unquestioned #1. SJax, however, is far from 2nd best, but who could've predicted the mess that the Rams have become? Addai at #3 looked a bit shaky for 3 weeks, but I think he'll be fine. Maroney at #4 was a major oops. Things get hazy now (next year, I'll take a screen-capture of my rankings prior to Week 1), but I think Gore was #5. He played like it for a time, but losing Alex Smith hurt and now Gore himself is hurt. Rounding out the top 10, I seem to recall names like Shaun Alexander (bust), Willie Parker (great, but only 2 TDs), Brian Westbrook (outstanding), LJ (bust early, stud now) and Travis Henry (high).

In the next 'tier' were Edge (decent and now has an easy schedule), Bush and MoJo (coming on), Brandon Jacobs (only now living up to his hype/potential), Ronnie Brown (stud until a torn ACL), Rudi Johnson, Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones (bust, bustier and bustiest). Remember, though, that this tier should've been drafted behind the first tier of QBs and the first 1 or 2 tiers of WRs. So, in other words, the busts shouldn't have gone early. If they did, their owners are probably hurtin' right now.

Below that were the good surprises, like McGahee (has the yards, albeit not the TDs) and Marshawn Lynch (hey, he looked like utter crap in the pre-season) and the predictable flops like Clinton Portis (due to a timeshare). Also the TBDs like Kevin Jones (whom I still maintain would re-injure himself were I to acquire him) and the good Adrian Peterson (who rocketed up my board faster than anyone else).

Bottom line: I was really REALLY wrong about Maroney, but I would like to think my cautious nature on the rest was accurate. Let's face it, if Gore fell to you at #5 or Alexander at ... wherever I had ranked him, you HAD to take him there due to the risk/reward ratio. It sucks that it didn't work out, but hopefully you got something better coming back the other way in Round 2.

You may want to argue that some of these 'busts' were really the result of injuries, such as Gore and Brown. To that I say "I factored injury concerns into my initial rankings, so there!" :)

Tomorrow I hope to tackle QBs and some WRs.

No comments: