Thursday, September 20, 2007

Disturbing.... errr... interesting trend

I'm sure the 'experts' have been getting 'hate mail' for years now, but this is the first year they all seem to be including the 'best' ones in their columns. Then they try to be hip/witty/edgy/whatever and respond.

Yahoo's got Bringin' the Noise, CBS Sportsline has "Backward hat wearing idiot #3" (or is it #2 since I deemed Dave Richard 'the smart one') and even Rotoworld has gotten into the fray by hiring Deadspin contributor and Philadelphia Magazine writer, AJ Daulerio.

What's causing all this? My guess is the blogosphere. Fantasy sites, in an attempt to seem 'cool', have either directed their writers to turn at least one of their weekly columns into a clone of a Deadspin comment section or, in Rotoworld's case, that they just hire a Deadspin guy outright.

So it's bad enough that these guys have a certain amount of space to fill and for years had done it with "Flames and Lames" or "Starts and Sits of the Week", but now they're trying to be funny, as well. Well, that's just great.

Make me a promise, readers (all 2 of you). If I EVER start sounding like one of those guys, let me know ASAP.

And if I ever give bad advice, let me know politely and I'll respond in kind. Remember my goal here: to make YOU aware of the bad 'advice' out there so you can stick to your guns, stay true to yourself and make your own decisions. I rank players over on the right because it's kinda fun, but I encourage you to come up with your own rankings and use THAT to make your lineup decisions.

No comments: