Thursday, August 23, 2007

JAX at GB: What have we learned, Charlie Brown?

Not much I'm afraid. "Learning" implies new information and I either saw confirmation of existing knowledge or a muddying of the waters.

  • Brandon Jackson is good, but JAX's D is better (11 rushes for 20 yards and a TD). He did chip in 4 catches for 23 yards, too.

  • Greg Jennings caught a couple of balls could be back in the WR mix, even though James Jones went off (6 for 80).

  • The above item is moot if Donald Driver misses considerable time because then both of those guys are worth drafting.

  • The WRs NOT worth drafting all had jaguar heads on their helmets. I *think* Wilford and Northcutt started. Leftwich overthrew Northcutt twice. Reggie Williams, who somehow was their 'leading receiver' in 06, had some looks. Matt Jones had a drop or two, but had a nice catch-n-run once Garrard took over. If Del Rio can't make a decision, how can YOU make one?

  • Speaking of "Lord" Byron, the only time he looked good was when Labrandon Toefield came in the game. If you could guarantee that Byron will ONLY ever throw to Toefield this season, I'll happily bump him up my rankings. If you can't guarantee me that, I'll assume we're in for another year of sacks, a slow throwing motion, overthrows, dropped passes and the inevitable mid-season injury.

  • I really wanted to see who lined up in the backfield when JAX got down near the goal line, but by the time that happened, Taylor and Jones-Drew were out of the game. So I can't give any credence to this Pancake Blocks entry regarding Greg Jones, back from injury, becoming a TD vulture.

  • I think I came away most impressed with the Packers D. They handled the 1-2 punch of the Jags' RBs and weren't lured to sleep by Leftwich's windup. Considering the offenses in the rest of the NFC North, GB MAY be worth drafting if you somehow get caught with your pants down at the end of your draft.

No comments: