Friday, August 10, 2007

Thoughts on Bills vs. Saints (and the other games, too)

It's a good thing the Mets have started to suck (I'm looking at YOU, Billy Wagner) because now I don't feel guilty devoting more and more time to the NFL. This game had enough subplots that FFB players should've stuck around for the whole game. It was good to see the Saints' high-powered offense return to their form of last year. I paid special attention to the WR corp. Devery Henderson was given the first crack at the #2 job, taking all the reps with Brees under center and catching a bunch of balls. Colston, however, was mainly a decoy (why risk an injury at this point, right?). Once Brees exitted, it was Terrence Copper's turn, with "Pootsteps" Palko trying to cement his position as the #3 QB. He did little to distinguish himself; his chief 'highlight' was allowing a Bills defender to run a better route and interecept a ball intended for him. Finally, if you were still tuned in towards the end of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, you saw the potential of #1 draft pick Robert Meachem, as he caught a beautiful fade pass for a 2 yard TD. Eric Johnson was in the mix as well out of the TE spot. Of course, he still has plenty of chances ahead to injure himself (I wouldn't draft him, nope, no way).

On the Bills' side, no one on O really stood out (probably because this was the Saints' 2nd game but only the Bills' first). Neither Anthony Thomas nor Marshawn Lynch did anything of note on the ground (although I think it's too early to downgrade Lynch). JP Losman looked merely okay (he was better running the ball than passing). Roscoe Parrish didn't get reps until Craig Nall took over the QB duties and I don't think Lee Evans caught a single ball. So, the bottom line is it's too early to tell with Buffalo. Now, if I were getting paid, I could probably make up something to justify my salary, but I don't so I won't ;).

Around the rest of the league
After quickly perusing the game recaps over on Yahoo, I have the following thoughts:

  • Don't buy into Justin McCareins just yet. He did his damage towards the end of the first half and Atlanta's first team D isn't that good anymore so Lord only knows what their second team D is like. And yes, I got burnt by Justin a couple of years ago when he came to the Jets from TEN and have never forgiven him.

  • Thomas Jones, however, was everything I expected him to be tonight.

  • Take away Jerious Norwoods 10 yard TD scamper and he only had 7 rushes for 19 yards.

  • At least if you take away Rudi Johnsons 20 yard dash, you've still got 4 rushes for 12 yards (3 yds/rush).

  • If you draft Steven Jackson, you could do a LOT worse than handcuffing him to his backup, Rutgers' Brian Leonard.

No comments: