Thursday, September 22, 2011

JMP Hops on the AC Bus: Conclusion

My curiosity satisfied, I made my way out to Pacific Ave. to jitney (yes, I just turned ‘jitney’ into a verb) over to the Borgata. The one bad thing about this plan is that by the time most jitneys make it that far, they’re often full so you have to wait a bit longer. Still, the wait was worth it, both due to the destination and the nice new jitneys all the drivers had to buy. Speaking of the drivers, I don’t know why they get such a bad rep. When I was on line waiting to get back to Pacific from the Borgata, a lot of folks weren’t too happy about the waits and the apparent randomness of their routes. The way I see it, these drivers have to buy their own vehicles, maintain them and fill them with gas which is still over $3.50 a gallon. Then they have to drive them around AC for who knows how many hours with who knows how few breaks, dealing with all sorts of people. All for $2.25 a ride.

The first order of business upon reaching the Borgata was lunch. I scoped out the Buffet and the Cafeteria and ultimately went back to the Buffet so I could make like “Man vs. Food’s” Adam Richman and stuff my face for about an hour for $20 and not have to worry about eating for the rest of the day. I thought they did a halfway decent job of creating a ‘cookout’ theme: they had half-sized hot dogs and burger sliders, along with BBQ chicken, in addition to the foods you’ve come to know and love. Rather than bore you with a lengthy list of what was on the four plates of food (not counting desserts) I enjoyed, I’ll just mention the one mere thing I found lacking – the fried chicken, which didn’t seem to have any seasoning on or in it.

After tipping $2 for what I would call ‘below average’ empty plate cleaning, I waddled outside the Buffet to see if that bank of multi-game machines with 9/6 JoB was still there and it was. I chose a machine on the aisle and had one of the better sessions I’ve had in a long while. I’m talking 3 quads, 5 full houses and a bunch of funky stuff like dealt straights, straights that came about after discarding all 5 cards and things of that nature. While I was never dealt four to a royal, I did end up that way once. I even lasted long enough to get a bottle of Miller Lite! Still, the law of averages being what they are, I was only up $25 after just under an hour of play. Since at one point I was actually up $60, this made things a bit less fun and my rule (borrowed from the Wizard of Odds) is, if you’re ahead, stop gambling if it isn’t fun anymore. Finally, it was a bit after 4 and I wanted to have a nice stroll back down the boards towards Caesars before catching my bus around 6:15 for a 6:40 departure. You might say that leaving was… ‘in the cards’.

The line for the jitney was predictably long, but I had the luxury of time on my side. Eventually, I was back where I started – at a machine outside Toga killing time. This turned out to be a wise decision as I quickly made another $25 thanks to a couple more full houses. I only left when I did because the seat to my right opened up and the incoming resident thought he needed to… I dunno… purify it by fanning it with his hat. Then his wife showed up. Since I didn’t really like where that was heading, I cashed out and made my way to the bus depot.

That’s when things got REALLY interesting, but I already covered that in an earlier post. Luckily, it didn’t impact our departure time at all, as our bus was able to back in down at the end and we were on our way home at 6:40, according to plan. On the way, I had a nice chat with the woman sitting next to me (I attempted to sleep on the way down). Turned out she was a VP player, too, but she went for the high volatility of Double Double Bonus.

I finally got back to KoP around 9:20 and was home by 9:40. All in all, I couldn’t have asked for a better day.

No comments: