Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Trading

I'll have a lot more to say about trading as the traditional deadlines approach in November, but for those of you looking to do something right now, here's my main theory on trading.

Always trade from strength. I don't care if you have the worst team in your league. If you have a stud or two, do NOT give them up. Part of this is psychological: you should have 1 or 2 studs to look forward to watching each week.

The other is mathematical. I feel if you have a guy that can get you 20 points, why trade him for two guys that may get you 10 each (with occasional upside of 15)? Better to keep that guy and 'pair' him with someone who will get you 11. Last I checked, 31 > 30.

And THAT is how I trade. I keep my studs and try to trade my middling guys for someone else's stud. Remember, you can't start everyone. I like overwhelming a guy and then having him have to make a decision each week.

Probably my best example of this was a couple of years ago when I sent SJax AND Mike Sims-Walker (during his 'breakout' season) away for Thomas Jones. My trading partner already had a couple other RBs. He couldn't start ALL of them, so I wasn't really making him better. Plus, I correctly predicted that SJax was just about due for his annual season-ending injury.

Right now, I'm trying to get Andre Johnson for DJax and Harvin. Let's see if the guy bites.

What are YOUR theories on trading?

1 comment:

JMP said...

Trade offer rejected :(