Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What's My Motivation?

Unlike baseball, where a level head produces better results, football requires maximum aggression/motivation. For years, I've done pretty well picking games against the spread simply by asking myself "Which team is more motivated?" This often works regardless of the teams' records. An elite team looking past a cellar-dweller often fails to cover.

In fantasy, though, it's not quite so simple. Regular football is a team game, but I'm trying to figure out which individual players will perform at their peaks. Here, motivations vary. I've already said that players who get paid in the off-season take the following year off; we're already seeing this with CJ2K. Sometimes, bringing in competition lights a fire under a RB's butt, like with Ryan Matthews. Sometimes, though, it's the reverse - Beanie Wells didn't start performing until his competition went on the IR.

The best I can do is play armchair psychologist and try and figure out what teams and players are thinking.

Now, it'd be easy to say that a team like the Chiefs isn't motivated, so I won't even waste any more time on them. Instead, I'd like to talk about some players whom you may not expect. This is going to sound eerily similar to my earlier "Trench Warfare" column, as I firmly believe that O-line play determines overall team morale. Hey, if you got hit more often than your peers, wouldn't you be less motivated too?

Roethlisberger, Mendenhall and Wallace - PIT got embarassed by the Ravens in Week 1 and nearly lost to IND on Sunday. Their O-line is a mess and their secondary is having trouble covering. Mendenhall's numbers are down and Big Ben is running for his life. For now, I'll trust Mike Tomlin to motivate his players, but I would also start trying to move Mike Wallace if the price is right.

Romo, Jones, Dez and Miles - that O-line looked dreadful on MNF and Romo can't throw the ball that far. Will Dez and Miles become frustrated at the lack of looks and can Felix Jones find enough holes AND deal with a bum shoulder? The only 'winner' on the team is Jason Witten who would benefit from Romo's reduced range. Hmmm... maybe Wallace for Witten straight up?

Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler - as with PIT, the O-lines of CHI and ATL are a mess and the QBs have been getting killed. How long before it affects their level of play? I'll reserve judgment on Mike Smith, but I've already seen enough of Lovie Smith to know he's not motivating this team to rise above this issue.

Mark Sanchez and Dustin Keller - another team with O-line woes, but Rex Ryan is a master motivator. Notice I didn't list Shonn Greene; I think he needs something even Rex can't provide.

Jason Campbell, Run DMC, Jacoby Ford and Darius Moore - ah ha! Trick question! This team IS properly motivated. Even Heyward-Bey is overachieving (for him, anyway).

Eli Manning - I'd say that it pains me to say this, but it doesn't. It's been downhill since Super Bowl 42 and now he looks like a jilted lover who's missing both Kevin Boss and Steve Smith. The Giants, overall, may be 2-1, but how long before his attitude wears thin on the defense? Also, how long before the team as a whole stops listening to Tom Coughlin?

No comments: