Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trench Warfare

Just like in the real game, the fantasy game is decided in the trenches. You won't get much from that stud RB if the line can't block and the passing game won't click if the QB is running for his life.

I didn't watch a lot of football this weekend, but between what I've seen and what I've read, here are some O-line issues to keep an eye on. This early in the season, I'd make decisions based on this rather than individual numbers. Assuming you drafted well, I wouldn't make any rash decisions unless you think the new player will significantly outplay the old one. Remember, those experts are paid to write columns, so they have to hype Cam Newton and Randall Cobb and all. I am not!

  • New York Jets: I'll give them a mulligan this week for having to face a Rob Ryan defense and also b/c they seemed committed to the pass and not to the run.
  • Dallas Cowboys: ditto, just sub 'Rex' for 'Rob'.
  • Minnesota Vikings: I read in the pre-season that they had the 31st or 32nd ranked line and they definitely got exposed by the Chargers. This issue concerns me more, because it's basically Adrian Peterson and no one else. As such, I'm trying to parlay his near 100 yards rushing into a trade with the guy who has Arian Foster. Hey, it could work!
  • Atlanta Falcons: I would normally write this off as "they faced the Bears", but when commenters on The Big Lead repeatedly call ATL's line 'hot garbage', I listen. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll find a buyer for Matt Ryan, but if I could, I would think about it. ATL faces quite a few stout Ds in teh coming weeks.
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: I believe they were the oldest line in the league and now Colon is gone for the season again. Luckily, Big Ben is great at extending plays by scrambling, so he should be okay. I'm more worried about Rashard Mendenhall, as he has a lot of miles on him.
  • Philadelphia Eagles: it doesn't look like they've flipped the switch to 'on' since I talked about this during the pre-season. But, again, Vick and McCoy can overcome.
  • New Orleans Saints: GB has a good D and I'll just chalk this up to opening night jitters on the road.
  • Indianapolis Colts: the buzz on The Big Lead is that Bill Polian has been screwing up the O-line for years and now, without Peyton, the chickens have come home to roost. If I had any Colts, I'd be selling.

No comments: