Sunday, August 28, 2011

Draft #1: Blame it on the Rain.

With the thought of power outtages and flooded basements weighing on my mind, I had my first draft on Saturday afternoon (for my #2 league, which is 8 teams, PPR, 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, RB/WR, WR/TE, K, D). Here's what I came away with from the #5 slot:
  • Ray Rice (5)
  • Darren McFadden (12)
  • Matt Schaub (21)
  • Miles Austin (28)
  • Desean Jackson (37)
  • Matt Stafford (44)
  • Jermichael Finley (53)
  • Felix Jones (60)
  • Owen Daniels (69)
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick (76)
  • Reggie Bush (85)
  • Knowshon Moreno (92)
  • Percy Harvin (101)
  • Willis McGahee (108)
  • NE D (117)
  • Dustin Keller (124)
  • Lance Kendricks (133)
  • Lance Moore (140)
  • Nick Folk (149)
  • Ricky Williams (156)
NOTES:
  • I could've gone with CJ2K instead of Rice, but he hasn't signed a deal yet and I'm not so sure Javon Ringer would get the bulk of the carries in his absence, based on what I saw in their 2nd pre-season game.
  • Matt Schaub in the 3rd round was probably a reach, but the run on QBs had already started and since I wanted two good ones, I felt I couldn't afford to delay the process until the 4th round.
  • Miles Austin and Desean Jackson aren't my ideal WRs for a PPR league, but I'd like to think my first 2 TE picks will make up for it.
  • I learned the hard way that a lot of good RBs have their byes in Week 5; Rice, Felix Jones, Hightower and Reggie Bush come to mind. I just had to grab Felix there b/c of the well-warranted hype, but then I brain-cramped and ended up with Reggie as well. I foolishly thought some lower-ranked backs like Ingram and Tolbert would be there later, but they got scooped up.
  • To compensate and give myself a viable Week 5 spot starter, I went with the tag-team of Moreno and McGahee. I figure by then, I'll know who's putting up more points.
  • I really wanted Kyle Orton as my QB3, but someone beat me to it.
  • Another brain cramp: going for a D as early as I did. I honestly forgot this league features large benches and thought it was closer to the end of the draft.
  • My backup WRs are a little iffy, but I'm hoping to swing a trade or use the waiver wire. I should've pounced earlier on Brandon Lloyd, but he went in the 10th. Also, given how low Yahoo had Johnny Knox ranked, I thought he'd be there later, but he went in the 16th. Somehow, the same team scooped these guys up. I wonder if they read my blog?
  • Ben Watson went undrafted. Despite my high ranking of him, I went with Keller and Kendricks since Yahoo had them ranked higher. I figure if I need an injury replacement, Watson will be on the waiver wire.

No comments: