Monday, August 22, 2011

Pre-season Week 2, Four-Pack #2

WAS @ IND
  • Let's get this out of the way up front - you cannot pay me enough to watch the Colts on offense with Curtis Painter at QB.
  • No, that's not Clinton Portis back in DC. That's rookie Roy Helu wearing his old #26. It looks like Shanny's back to his old tricks as Tim Hightower got some yards and a TD but Helu got the majority of the reps.
  • John Beck had a nice little game, but didn't do anything special. I'm still not ranking him, WR2 Jabar Gaffney or TE Fred Davis.
DET @ CLE
  • Colt McCoy continues to do a lot with a little. This week he was missing Peyton Hillis and Ben Watson and still managed to throw 3 TDs. He's really excelling at the short passes that are the cornerstone of the West Coast offense.
  • Let me reiterate what I just said: PEYTON HILLIS IS ALREADY INJURED! That said, he was back at practice the following day; so was Ben Watson.
  • Speaking of Watson, if McCoy targets him the way he targetted his understudy, Evan Moore, Watson will have a great year.
  • Also injured again? Jahvid Best, with a concussion. I'm really starting to wonder if he's got enough durability to last 16 games.
  • Neither O-line played well. I refuse to believe that the DET and CLE Ds are that darn good.
ATL @ JAX
  • Maybe it was by design or maybe the JAX D is better than I thought, but Matt Ryan was really spreading the ball around and it was Harry Douglas who benefitted most. I'm sure Roddy White will be fine and they'll try to take advantage of Julio Jones' speed, but I think they'll all cannibalize each others touches.
  • You know who needs his touches cannibalized? Michael Turner. I really think Jason Snelling is the best RB on the roster right now.
  • Right now, the only Jaguar I'd consider having on my roster (other than MJD at a deep discount) is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is WR Mike Thomas in PPR leagues only. He seems to be the first, and many times the only, option on passing downs.
BUF @ DEN
  • Just when I started feeling good about Ryan Fitzpatrick, he goes out and throws a stinker.
  • Like Mike Thomas, Steve Johnson is the only real WR on the roster, but he deserves to be ranked higher as I believe BUF will be playing from behind a lot and will rack up the garbage time points.
  • I'm no longer concerned about Brandon Lloyd. I love how the experts make it seem like John Fox will do nothing but run, run and run some more, but someone has to catch Kyle Orton's passes.
  • There's no rhyme or reason as to when Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller get touches. They're basically one player split in two and there's no league I know of that will let you combine their points into a player named CJ Jackson.
  • Knowshon Moreno reminds me a lot of Ryan Matthews and Lesean McCoy and that's not a good thing b/c he's got Willis McGahee breathing down his neck. He's not only stealing red-zone touches, but receptions out of the backfield as well.
  • ps. Eddie Royal still sucks.

No comments: