Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pre-season Week 3: Four-Pack #1

ATL @ PIT
  • The great thing about this game is that it felt like it was Week 8 of the regular season and not Week 3 in the pre-season. Neither team was 'working on something'; they were just trying to win. I believe this means it'll be highly indicative of what we can see when they start playing for real.
  • As such, Matt Ryan is in for a stellar season, but on the flip side, I can't point to just one WR who will benefit. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Harry Douglas were all very active. Now, I can't go out and bump Douglas up a ton, but I do have to wonder about the White/Jones split.
  • On the plus side, Michael Turner should play all 16 games this year. On the negative side, he won't be good for as many yards and TDs.
  • Tony Gonzalez is probably now the 4th option in the passing game.
  • Luckily for Hines Ward, he's at least only the 3rd option, behind Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown (4 for 137, 2 TDs). 45th option? Heath Miller.
SD @ ARI
  • I think I see how the Cardinals' O will operate: lull the opposition to sleep with Bean Wells rushes and passes to guys you've never heard of and then BOOM! Hit Larry Fitzgerald for a big play.
  • I'll give Beanie Wells credit: since becoming the feature back by default, he's run with purpose.
  • Yes, Ryan Matthews put up some decent numbers, including a nice scamper, but Mike Tolbert was the one catching passes and taking reps in the red zone.
  • Similar to the Falcons, the Chargers gameplan seems to be "target anyone and everyone". Phillip Rivers was firing on all cyclinders and I don't think he discriminates much, if at all, between Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd.
STL @ KC
  • Another week, another sucky game from Matt Cassel. I need to rethink my Dwayne Bowe ranking.
  • Jamaal Charles would've had a TD if the Chiefs hadn't held on his run. What? You mean to tell me a Chief O-lineman thought he needed to hold on a Charles run? You know who I blame this on? Todd Haley.
  • You know who did have a TD? Lance Kendricks.
CAR @ CIN
  • I forgot to mention it when talking about my first draft of the year, but Steve Smith went undrafted. Cam Newton has already done the unthinkable: he's made the Bengals look competent.
  • Also complicit in that was the Panthers D. And, now that I think about it, this is not the first week they've looked bad. Whatever changes Ron Rivera has brought don't seem to be working. This may be a case of "start whomever is playing the Panthers".
  • I don't know why CIN is so loyal to Cedric Benson. Bernard Scott is infinitely better.

No comments: