Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pre-season Week 2, Four-Pack #1

Let's try this: there are 16 games and 16 is 4 times 4. Four 4-packs seems to be a happy medium between one post per game and 5-6 per game.

ARI @ GB
  • As I watched most of the first half, I started crafting words expressing the "Super Bowl Hangover" that GB was going through, but then something clicked. Aaron Rodgers started hitting Jermichael Finley for some quick gains and then hit a nice pass to Greg Jennings for a TD.
  • Donald Driver had a nice little game, too, but I just can't trust him due to his age.
  • Missing in action were Jordy Nelson and James Jones. This will continue as long as Driver is around.
  • Somehow, Ryan Grant managed to get himself 23 yds on 5 carries.
  • Similarly, Beanie Wells got himself 44 yds on 11 carries and now has the starting gig all to himself since Ryan Williams is gone for the season. I guess I have to bump him up a bit, as he's now a clear cut feature back in the "National Football League".
  • The one thing that gives me pause with Beanie and everything else surrounding their offense is their O-line. Kevin Kolb was on the run all night.
  • Larry Fitzgerald was heavily targetted, but only came away with 1 catch for 15 yards. I know that will improve and there is something to be said for "garbage time production", but I may have to rethink all my Cardinal rankings.
  • Missing in action: Todd Heap.
NO @ HOU
  • For me, watching Arian Foster is like watching your first-born son finally make it in the big time. I'll probably never have him on a team again without a #1 pick, but I'll always remember 2010 where I plucked him from obscurity in 2 leagues.
  • From where I sit, this is the 2nd week in a row where the Saints' O looked out of synch.
  • The only sense I can make out of Sean Payton's use of his RBs is that Pierre Thomas gets the relatively meaningless work, Darren Sproles gets the passing downs and Mark Ingram gets the TDs. Guess who I want on my team?
  • I wanted to see more from TEs on both sides; neither the Saints' Jimmy Graham nor HOU's Owen Daniels showed me why I should draft them.
KC @ BAL
  • Oh, look, there's Jamaal Charles. Oh, wait, nevermind, b/c there's also Le'Ron McClain, Dexter McCluster and Thomas Jones. Hey, if JC drops to the 4th round, sure, I'll grab him, but other than that...
  • The more I hear how I shouldn't draft Dwayne Bowe, the more I think I should go the other way. So far, I think he's having a nice pre-season. Still, I won't overpay.
  • I understand pre-season is the time to work on things and he's got a shiny new weapon in Lee Evans, but Joe Flacco only hit 50% of his passes.
NE @ TB
  • I could say something trite like "as good as the Bucs looked last week is how bad they looked this week", but in retrospect, they didn't look THAT good last week. I'm wondering if all the hype is going to their heads.
  • I didn't notice NE doing anything special on D in terms of blitzes, so it was very troubling that they were in TB's backfield all night. Legarrette Blount had no room to run and Josh Freeman did nothing but run for his life.
  • In my PPR leagues, I would never draft Kevin Faulk, but I always ended up plucking him off of waivers during the season. I think I may get ahead of the curve and draft Danny Woodhead this year.
  • Maybe they're working on their chemistry during practice, but I don't see a lot of interaction between Tom Brady and Chad Ochocinco. This concerns me; last year, I noticed TO and Carson Palmer work on theirs in-game. I ranked TO, drafted him and reaped the rewards. I don't know what to do about 85 this year, yet.
  • The two NE TEs will continue to confound fantasy owners this year.

No comments: