Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pre-season Week 2: Four-Pack #4

I'm sorry this is late; my original recording of the MIN-SEA tilt was joined in progress so I missed much of the first quarter. That said, I didn't miss much. Let's get to it!
MIN @ SEA
  • The only positive takeaway I have from this game is the play of Adrian Peterson. He ran with power and elusiveness, as like it was the middle of the season. I've heard bad things about MIN's O-line, but I think he can overcome that.
  • As far as Seattle runners, Marshawn Lynch is 'just a guy'. Leon Washington moved the ball much better, but he's waiver wire fodder.
  • T-Jax was outplayed by Charlie Whitehurst... again. I can't in good conscience draft any SEA pass-catcher.
CAR @ MIA
  • True to the conventional wisdom surrounding rookie QBs, Cam Newton favored both Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey. I can't draft Shockey, though; he's too old and has too many miles on him.
  • Chad Henne somehow made it work with a dink and dunk offense, targettng Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess almost equally. Gotta give the edge to BMarsh due to his size, especially down in the red zone.
  • By now you've already heard that Reggie Bush had a great game. I was prepared to see nothing, however, from rookie Daniel Thomas but I actually thought he was okay. Maybe there's value there.
CHI @ NYG
  • I know the G-men have a great D, but I still believe that Matt Forte will get the bulk of his yardage this year through the air. Anyone can break through the walls the CHI 'O line' has put up.
  • Word is, Roy Williams is about to lose his job back to Johnny Knox.
  • When in doubt, Eli Manning favored Mario Manningham. It seemed that Hakeem Nicks only got the ball by design. That's not a bad thing, assuming they design about 10-12 of those plays in the end zone!
  • Brandon Jacobs ran really well. I think his tapdancing days are over.
  • No heir apparent to Kevin Boss yet.
OAK @ SF
  • This game was brutal. San Fran ran the ball well and I am pretty sure Frank Gore would've done just as well as his backups, but I just can't trust his ability to stay healthy all season.
  • It looks like another year where Vernon Davis alternates good weeks with weeks of "2 catches, 8 yards".
  • I don't think Alex Smith has grasped Jim Harbaugh's offense yet. Maybe he never will.

No comments: