Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pre-season Week 3: Two-Pack B

I only had two games on my DVR today: the previously mentioned, and awful, Browns/Eagles tilt and the Cowboys/Vikings game. Guess which one I enjoyed more?
CLE @ PHI
  • I'll start here so the post ends on a positive note. This was an ugly game before the rain started. I stopped watching when it began to fall because I couldn't take it any longer.
  • Colt McCoy wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great. I think the lack of talent at the other skill positions is catching up to him.
  • Peyton Hillis didn't play much, which I don't mind. They HAVE to keep him fresh leading into, and then during, the regular season. Averaging 6 yards per carry on 3 rushes, still, though, is nothing to sneeze at.
  • It looks like the Ben Watson era is over before it really truly began. I'm hearing he'll be staying in to block more and Evan Moore will be the TE to own. That said, he was out for this game.
  • On the Philly side of the ball, it was the Lesean McCoy show, as Mike Vick was in checkdown mode all night.
  • I do a lot of fast-forwarding while watching these games, but I managed to catch something interesting from the announcers: both Vick and Desean Jackson are short. It's hard for one to find the other when the protection breaks down. On one of the few targets DJax had, Vick just kinda threw it up there and it was picked.
  • Still don't think Brent Celek is rosterable.
DAL @ MIN
  • Man, it's going to be tough not having Adrian Peterson on any teams this year, unless I pay through the nose in an auction draft. I heard bad things about MIN's O-line, but if you figure that Rob Ryan has 'fixed' DAL's D, the fact that AP ran so well speaks volumes.
  • It was nice to see Percy Harvin on the field for a change. Donovan McNabb was spreading the ball around, but if I had to guess, he's got a bit more chemistry with Harvin. Plus, they can use him out of the backfield.
  • I overheard Visanthe Schiancoe say that this year's O will favor the TE a bit more than in years past. McNabb learned that TEs can catch the ball from Chris Cooley, so there may be some value there. Still, my "show, don't tell" rule applies.
  • Maybe it was b/c Miles Austin didn't play, but DAL really did everything in their power to get the ball to Dez Bryant and he didn't disappoint. I wonder about how those two will split touches once their on the field at the same time.
  • It was nice to see Felix Jones play well. It was even nicer to see him get 'near the goal-line' touches.

No comments: